Treats should account for only 10% of your pet’s daily diet. If your pet exceeds the recommended amount of treats just adjust your pet’s daily food intake to stay within your vet’s recommended daily kcals.
Most treats designed for adult dogs are safe for puppies, but there are several key things to look for in a treat before you give it to your puppy. Puppy owners should consider how hard the treat is, as new puppy teeth may be sharp but they tend to break easily, the ingredients, as puppies have pretty delicate stomachs and some ingredients are bad for young dogs, and how quickly they can eat it. Puppies aren’t well practiced in chewing off chunks they can handle, so owners need to monitor them and prevent them from swallowing large chunks, which could be a choking hazard or cause intestinal issues.
If you think he may have swallowed a large chunk of the treat whole, call your vet as he may have an intestinal obstruction.
Always monitor your pets when they are consuming a chew treat to ensure that they do not try to eat pieces that are too large for them.